2015 Asian American Journalist Association V3com

This V3con weekend was amazing. I was volunteering, but never did I feel like it. The experience started Thursday night for the orientation. It was a bit awkward at first, people trickled into the volunteer room said hello and sat as spaced out as possible. Eventually the room filled and conversations started and I got to meet some very interesting and inspiring people. 

The stories of two individuals really spoke to me. Both inspired me to follow my dreams and not be afraid to take risks, if the end goal is something that is going to give me motivation to wake up in the morning. 

One girl, coincidentally went to my high school, attended UCLA, is graduated, and has been in the working world for a few years. She majored in psychology but always loved film. After working at a dead end job at her Alma Mater for a few years she realizes that's not what she wanted for her life. She bought a bunch of gear from friends that were getting out of film making, or upgraded their gear and she was using this convention as a way to get into filming events. 

Another girl who sat across the room, came from New York just a few weeks prior, just to work at a start up. Something that I don't think I would ever be able to do. Drop everything and move across the country to work at a company that's in it's infancy. Some on in the room actually voiced wished her luck In a sarcastic and condescending way. Saying that start ups are horrible to work for. She seemed passionate and believe in the company. The company is working on wireless charging and If the company gets even remotely successful she will be very well off. 

The awards night was a blast the awardees were hilarious and had amazing words of wisdom for the AAPI community. 

The night honored the Actor from Fresh off The Boat Randall Park, Publisher of Buzzfeed Dao Nguyen, and Editor in Chief of Yahoo Style Joe Zee. 

The next day consisted of talks and workshops. I took a workshop on GIFS, time lapses, and slow motion by the wonderful Maya Sugarman. 

Overall an very useful event. I probably learned more from this conference than I have at student journalism conventions.









0 comments:

Post a Comment