China Town Summer Nights 2015



After a long, grueling, but exciting day at the Asian American Journalist Associations digital media conference, V3con, I needed food. I had some udon in Little Tokyo, not even a block away from conference. After stuffing my stuff with some beef udon,  the night was still young and I needed something to do.

My girlfriend, Sharon, suggested we go to China Town Summer Nights, a night of music, beer, and food trucks in the middle of China Town. Lanterns blanketed the sky like stars, the ground was a sea of confetti, and the event seemed to be lit with neon lights.

It was beautiful, I had my camera, I took pictures. Nothing came out very well, the photos were dark, blurry, or out of focus.

Later that night, looking through everything on Lightroom and skipping photos rapidly I notice it made a flipbook/timelapse type of effect. So instead of moping because how bad I am at taking pictures, I made a cool looking video.

I usually don't shoot in in what some  call "Machine Gun Mode" or  "Spraying and Praying". Which is pressing the shutter and taking as may pictures as fast as possible. In this instance, I was trying to get motion, with passers by blurring out with Sharon standing still. If I wasn't doing that I was trying to take selfies with my DSLR and I didn't know what would look good so I sprayed and prayed while moving my arm from  chest level to above in order to get the lanterns in the background.





0 comments:

Post a Comment