Covering the Vigils for Paris Terror Attacks

November 13, 2015, is one of those days that will be ingrained in the minds of people all over the world.

 For me, I spent the weekend with the mourners to document the tragedy from the view of Southern California. On Saturday I visited the French consulate and Sunday I went to Cal State Long Beach to the vigil for Nohemi Gonzales, the student that was lost in the attacks.

To be honest, when I saw notifications pop up on my phone, I didn't give it much thought. I read it and went on with my day. Maybe all the news of killings lately has desensitized me. An hour later with social media notifications  buzzing non stop and with the news that this was a massive attack, I became infatuated with the story. I searched YouTube for as much content I could find, but still, I was not satisfied. 

Something in me wanted to be there in Paris, with the people. I think it's human nature to have what millennials call "FOMO" or the fear of missing out. It's not that I wanted to see people hurt and killed. People in general are curious about life and the events within it that will be put down as history. People still study history and watch war movies, I think it's just human nature for the thirst of knowledge and the experience of those that lived during that time or lived through a certain experience. For journalists, I think we want to be ahead of the game. History is going to happen whether we have a say in it or not, might as well be there and experience it first hand and give the public to live vicariously through our work. 

I figured that after such a tragic event there must be a vigil being planned. Living in Los Angeles, California, I visited the French Consulate for a vigil the night after the attack.

The crowd was massive, I couldn't even see the memorial when I arrived. I spent a few hours in awe of the people and the emotion. Many people kept there composure, there was no bawling but it was obvious no one was the slightest bit happy.

To see the photo albums visit my Facebook here:


This photo in particular struck a chord with me. Michele Judd holds her daughter Miuccia tightly in her arms front of the memorial. Michele and her daughter were frequent visitors of the Bataclan Theater in Paris, of the locations attacked. Seeing the emotion in her face, you can see the love for her daughter and the fear that she feels that this could have happened to her daughter.  

A young child holds up the now prolific Eiffel Tower peace sign by artist Jean Jullien, while the french flag flies at half mast.



With the vigil of Nohemi Gonzalez there were much more people there. It was a beautiful and touching vigil and I'm glad I was there to experience it.
 Tim Mraz, boy friend to Gonzalez for almost four years gets emotional after speaking about her.

Hundreds flow out of the Cal State Long Beach Student Union to the courtyard to the candle lit portion of the vigil.
Photos, candles, and flowers placed on a memorial for Nohemi Gonzalez.
People raise their candles in memory of Nohemi Gonzalez.
People raise their candles in memory of Nohemi Gonzalez.







1 comments:

  1. Wow what a cool trip. I can't believe you went to Mexico but it is such a great cause. I would be screwed without my glasses. I think our vision is something we take for granted. I love how vividly you painted your story with your words. Then your pictures just made it that much better.

    ReplyDelete